Sunday, March 9, 2014

Wa'apa Build - Part 27 (cockpit floor, wae)

Focus of recent work has been to get the cockpit floors installed and start work on the other bits needed to complete the main hulls. This mainly involved constructing and installing three semi bulkheads, cutting holes for hatches in floor, gluing on stiffeners, epoxy coating, etc. 

Unfortunately the sd card in my phone/camera has gone corrupt and I've lost most of the in progress shots of I had of all that stuff...so not a lot to see this time round..


Floor glued in, epoxy coated, and fillets all around. Also 6mm reinforcement ply glued in where wae will pass through hull.

Can just see one of the semi bulkheads under the floor.

Mast step cut out...

Test fitting the wae. As well as a tie point for the iako/crossbeam, this wae will also have the mast partner attached to it.





Getting there, just gotta keep knocking items off the list...

3 comments:

  1. I am enjoying your blog. Building your Wa'apa must be fun.

    I found your blog from Gary's.

    Keep having fun.

    Wayne
    TexasGrizzly.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debating wether to add a cockpit floor to my own build... How high is the floor from the bottom of the canoe? Now that you've sailed it a bit, what are your thoughts on the raised cockpit? Is it comfortable to sit in? Does it interfere with paddling?

    Great blog—your careful documentation and stellar work have definitely been a invaluable guide in my own endeavors! Happy sailing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I remember right the floor is about 10in / 250mm up from bottom.

    I'm really happy having the raised cockpit..can't imagine not having it now. I can pack a fair amount of gear under there where its safe a dry. Self bailing makes any water entry a non issue and capsize recovery is drama free..floats high and comes up dry. Having the extra reserve buoyancy is a nice bonus too just in case something happens.

    The trade off is added build time & materials, more weight, and less leg room than without.

    The additional weight was my biggest concern. This is why I only used 6mm ply for the bottom and cockpit floor and 4mm everywhere else..and always tried to build as lightweight as I could. Doing so I believe the canoe came out about the same weight as if I'd built to plans all in 6mm.

    You have less leg room of course, and might be uncomfortable if sitting on seat in hull for long periods. Hasn't bothered me so far as I'm always on the hiking seats and can stretch my legs pretty well. For trips longer than a few hours I'm not sure yet...but prob not much different than without raised floor..tramps might be nice.

    Paddling is the only time I really sit in hull and notice the lack of leg room I think. Not ideal I guess but not end of world either. I often just kneel on floor or seat when I paddle. But really I don't paddle very often at all...any wind at all and I ghost along pretty easily. Another benefit of keeping weight down (giant lug sail also helps ;)).

    ReplyDelete